Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eccentric Serbian

Hello people!
Today I’m going to talk about a fascinating man, that I like very much. This man is Emir Kusturica, maybe you know him, too.
This serbian film director and musician, was born on a difficult environment by problems in his country (today Bosnia-Herzegovina). This is one of the themes that he expresses in his music and films. 
His essential work is reflected in the movies, but he also finds a liking for music, as a result of his contact with The No Smoking Orchestra.
He started with film business when he had 24 years old; his début was in the Yugoslavian television.

His first work was “Do you remember Dolly Bell?” which won a prize in the Venice film festival.  Since here, he obtained his prestige on indie film with his particular style. All this enveloped in the gypsy sounds of The No Smoking Orchestra.
As a films lover, I could say that his work is very important to me; his movies are part of my collection. I didn’t watch all his movies, but I could comment some of the most popular movies of this man and movies that I like more.
The first movie that I saw was “Black cat, white cat”, this film is about marginal life, but always saves the hilarious touches of the director. It’s about  two criminals who meet again, after many years. It’s a really good movie that I recommend you.
Another movie is “Underground”. It’s about second war and conflict in Yugoslavia. Here, Emir critizes, somehow, to his own country and let see something about his political side.  Even when the movie is part of the director’s imagination, the symbolisms are close to the reality. That’s why this film is more controversial.
The last movie that I saw was “Life is a miracle”. This film is about hope and optimism, even if the weirdest and worst destination is harder every day.  This film shows the soft side of this great director. I liked it a lot.
That's why I love Emir!
Well, that is all today, I see you in the next post, take care!

6 comments:

  1. Wow...I knew the music of Emir, but I had no idea he was director

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about him, but I don't know him...I didn't know he was a musician but I knew he had some films...I don't know if I'm right, but I heard he did something about football .. or maybe is another Kusturika, I don't think so.
    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of him ... but is rarely, my dog is called Emir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that Emir is movie director, I only knew his music. I hoppe to see his movies soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love his movies and his music. Unfortunately I have not seen him when he's been here. I'd like to see him play live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love their music, are so cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete